Trimage vs Smush.it: Test Result
Yahoo! Smush.it is a famous tool for web designers. It’s often considered as the best image optimization tool, but it has some limitations. One of the promising open source alternative is Trimage Image Compressor.
The Test Using 20 Random Picked Files
For this test, I randomly picked 20 files from public domain image sites. They consist of:
- 16 JPEG files, 2 PNG files, 2 GIF files
- Various of file sizes, the smallest is 8,642 bytes and the largest is 3,613,425 bytes
- Various of image dimensions, from 128 x 128 pixels to 2000 x 2568 pixels
Here is information of the files:
|1||1500×1500-abstract-free||jpg||1500 x 1500||1,562,286|
|2||AfSamtidensKunstRChristiansen||png||2553 x 1726||3,613,425|
|3||aircraft-maintenance-vintage-photo||jpg||2100 x 1682||150,249|
|4||candle-in-dark||jpg||2048 x 1536||711,154|
|5||Computer-art-rendered-image||jpg||1600 x 1200||100,902|
|6||cute-boy-face-with-butterfly||jpg||2400 x 1800||247,075|
|7||fire-at-solstice||jpg||1024 x 768||137,361|
|8||helicopter-spraying-on-sky||jpg||1512 x 990||58,890|
|9||In_the_Conservatory-x0-y0||jpg||1024 x 1024||276,054|
|10||jagged-leaves||jpg||797 x 600||79,833|
|11||Jerusalem-Religions||jpg||1600 x 1200||414,240|
|12||kitten||jpg||1703 x 1148||278,395|
|13||lonely+tree||jpg||1024 x 682||165,658|
|14||pennies||jpg||1024 x 768||86,947|
|15||rusty-lamp-fire-in-dark||jpg||1280 x 960||169,768|
|16||Sausages-rolls-chimichurri-sauces||jpg||1280 x 960||190,509|
|17||Sperry_Cline||gif||503 x 620||85,297|
|18||Stock-brush-2||png||128 x 128||8,642|
|19||sunset_1_bg_111602||jpg||1024 x 768||97,611|
|20||THOMSON’S_crown_corset_1882||gif||2000 x 2568||752,318|
File Sizes After the Test
Below is the images’ file sizes after the test, red means the file size isn’t changed before and after the test:
|2||Smush.it fail to compress||3,187,836||3,613,425|
|17||Trimage fail to compress||85,297||78,973|
|20||Trimage fail to compress||752,318||742,575|
Total result sizes for Trimage is 8,488,015 bytes.
Total result sizes for Smush.it is 8,840,422 bytes.
Some interesting things you may want to know:
- Smush.it generated an error when trying to compress image no. 2.
- Smush.it was able to process but give 0 saving on image no. 11.
- Trimage was unable to process GIF format on image no. 17.
- Trimage was able to process but give 0 saving on image no. 19.
- Trimage was unable to process GIF format on image no. 20.
Conclusions from The Test
- Smush.it won most the times (11 for Smush.it and 6 for Trimage)
- Smush.it can compress GIF files while Trimage can’t
- Trimage can compress large files, Smush.it only can process up to 1+ MB file sizes.
Although the total result sizes for Trimage is 8,488,015 is smaller compare to Smush.it 8,840,422 but if we exclude the large file (that can’t compressed by Smush.it), Trimage will lose (Trimage 5,300,179 vs Smush.it 5,226,997).
For getting smaller result Yahoo! Smush.it is the winner, but if it fails to compress or give 0 saving you may try to use Trimage Image Compressor.